Honda XL250R '83 US Forum

Honda XL250R 1983 D USA

Engine Dies

Honda XL250R '83 US Forum

author
Grant Davis

posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 03:16
Subject: Engine Dies

My XL250R engine dies after 5 to 10 minutes. I thought it was the carb, so I pulled it and cleaned, replace the float and needle, and cleaned the jets. I checked and it appears that I am getting fuel to the carb. I thought it was the CDI and ignition coil but both proved good. I have also checked for a vapor lock on the gas tank, but again it did not appear so.
Any ideas?

reply to this

James Morgan

posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 11:24
Subject: Re: Engine Dies

My XL250R engine dies after 5 to 10 minutes. I thought it was the carb, so I pulled it and cleaned, replace the float and needle, and cleaned the jets. I checked and it appears that I am getting fuel to the carb. I thought it was the CDI and ignition coil but both proved good. I have also checked for a vapor lock on the gas tank, but again it did not appear so.
Any ideas?

Hi, You say you checked the filler cap for a blocked venting hole? Have you tried simply loosening the filler cap just as the engine starts to die?

reply to this

Grant Davis

posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 03:42
Subject: Re: Re: Engine Dies

Any ideas?

Hi, You say you checked the filler cap for a blocked venting hole? Have you tried simply loosening the filler cap just as the engine starts to die?

I haven't checked it while it was in the process of dieing, but I did open the fuel cap afterward and I still had problems starting the bike. I did not hear any type of breaking a seal sound. Normally it takes about 10 minutes before the bike will start again. (or it feels like 10 minutes when you are kick starting it on the side of the highway).

reply to this
CMS is an independent supplier of spare parts and has no commercial link with Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha or Kawasaki.