Honda TL250 TRIALS 1976 US Forum

Honda TL250 TRIALS 1976 USA

Lighting Installation

Honda TL250 TRIALS 1976 US Forum

author
David Toohey

posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 02:49
Subject: Lighting Installation

Hello to the forum, I have a '76 TL250 thatI purchased last year in really fantastic original condition. However it has never had any lighting as my original one had in '76. I have been searching around and found original lighting components and am now attempting to complete the wiring of the lighting system.

I have identified the wiring requirements, i.e., what goes to what, but am concerned that I may need a regulator, not shown in any of the wiring diagrams I have found, as the magneto develops 24v ac at idle and up to 48v at revs...

Can someone tell me what I need and how it connects, the headlight I have is 6V, and the tail light is 12v, I suspect 6v was the correct bulb voltage, but not sure if that is true, it's been many years since I owned one with lighting.

Thank you in anticipation, David Toohey

reply to this

James Morgan

posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 14:15
Subject: Re: Lighting Installation

Hello to the forum, I have a '76 TL250 thatI purchased last year in really fantastic original condition. However it has never had any lighting as my original one had in '76. I have been searching around and found original lighting components and am now attempting to complete the wiring of the lighting system.

I have identified the wiring requirements, i.e., what goes to what, but am concerned that I may need a regulator, not shown in any of the wiring diagrams I have found, as the magneto develops 24v ac at idle and up to 48v at revs...

Can someone tell me what I need and how it connects, the headlight I have is 6V, and the tail light is 12v, I suspect 6v was the correct bulb voltage, but not sure if that is true, it's been many years since I owned one with lighting.

Thank you in anticipation, David Toohey

Hi, welcome to the forum. I also had a TL 250 Honda back in the '70's. The battery itself should regulate the flow of power from the alternator, but id in doubt, fit a 6V regulator from a similar machine, like a TL125 for example?

reply to this

David Toohey

posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 14:24
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Lighting Installation

Thank you for your reply, I must respectfully point out that these bikes do not have batteries, there is nowhere to put one! So I am no more enlightened so far.

Regards, David

reply to this
CMS is an independent supplier of spare parts and has no commercial link with Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha or Kawasaki.