Honda XL250 MOTOSPORT 250 1976 US Forum

Honda XL250 MOTOSPORT 1976 USA

general advice on starting

Honda XL250 MOTOSPORT 250 1976 US Forum

author
Richard Prentice

posted: Sunday, December 2, 2012 16:15
Subject: general advice on starting

I have a 76 XL250 K3 (8500 miles from new)that is complete and original, except for the exhaust which is a stainless aftermarket one, but I have an original now to put on when I get it to run.I bought it non-running, there was a stripped thread on the carb to head mount, so I helicoiled this and fitted a new O ring, seal is now good and tight.
I have a spark,have a new plug, timing looks good, but the plug isn't getting wet after 20 kicks so I have stripped and ultrasonic bathed the carb and cleaned all holes with compressed air, fitted a Keyster carb kit checked float valve, new needle, etc etc, it looks like new. New petcock, good fuel flow,fresh fuel.Compression seems a bit weedy to me but I have nothing to compare it with, so I bought a compression tester that turned out didn't have an adapter for such a small M10 x 1mm plug thread so today have ordered another that does,sigh. I have needle on 3rd position and all jets are correct. Air filter is in situ and clean.I have disconnected the kill switch and ignition key so there are no false groundings to kill the engine. I have tried a teaspoon of fuel in the plug hole (and a squirt of easy start) but she doesn't fire.Not a peep.I am kicking with twistgrip closed, choke on full. I have bought new points and a new plug cap, but not fitted them yet as they seem to have been changed by the previous owner. ( who I think couldn't start it either)I don't get much spare time, but I plan to check compression, time it to F mark, replace the points, and check the auto advance is not 180 degrees out. Any other suggestions? Does anyone ever read this?

reply to this

Richard Prentice

posted: Tuesday, March 5, 2013 17:01
Subject: Re: general advice on starting

I have a 76 XL250 K3 (8500 miles from new)that is complete and original, except for the exhaust which is a stainless aftermarket one, but I have an original now to put on when I get it to run.I bought it non-running, there was a stripped thread on the carb to head mount, so I helicoiled this and fitted a new O ring, seal is now good and tight.
I have a spark,have a new plug, timing looks good, but the plug isn't getting wet after 20 kicks so I have stripped and ultrasonic bathed the carb and cleaned all holes with compressed air, fitted a Keyster carb kit checked float valve, new needle, etc etc, it looks like new. New petcock, good fuel flow,fresh fuel.Compression seems a bit weedy to me but I have nothing to compare it with, so I bought a compression tester that turned out didn't have an adapter for such a small M10 x 1mm plug thread so today have ordered another that does,sigh. I have needle on 3rd position and all jets are correct. Air filter is in situ and clean.I have disconnected the kill switch and ignition key so there are no false groundings to kill the engine. I have tried a teaspoon of fuel in the plug hole (and a squirt of easy start) but she doesn't fire.Not a peep.I am kicking with twistgrip closed, choke on full. I have bought new points and a new plug cap, but not fitted them yet as they seem to have been changed by the previous owner. ( who I think couldn't start it either)I don't get much spare time, but I plan to check compression, time it to F mark, replace the points, and check the auto advance is not 180 degrees out. Any other suggestions? Does anyone ever read this?
. News update 1st March 2013, it runs! I swopped the coil for a spare one I got from ebay, and put a '75 Keihin on it and it starts first kick, ticks over beautifully, The old coil had a spark, but the 'new, coil is a fatter bluer spark. Timing was a little retarded, much better now with the correct advance. I will swop the carb back when I get chance meanwhile I am enjoying riding it too much to do that.

reply to this

Edwin Van Der Veen

posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 13:19
Subject: Re: general advice on starting

Hi Richard,

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you got your bike running in the end!

Enjoy the rides :)

reply to this
CMS is an independent supplier of spare parts and has no commercial link with Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha or Kawasaki.